3.30.2013

Weekly Entry, Week 11

These past few weeks have been INSANE! DC with middle school kids one week and being snowed in at a cabin with no internet for the next. Basically, I have had to put my life on hold for a bit, now it's time to play catch up. Thankfully I did my tutorial a few weeks ago just to get it out of the way. Not having internet was a bit of a relief, though, because as I have said in previous posts, I actually dislike being wired.

This week's readings are really quite interesting and raise questions of privacy when it comes to social media. In the article 5 Ways Social Media Will Change Recorded History, Ben Parr mentions that "Everyone will have the ability to know what you did and who you were with on a daily basis..." This scares me. I see the benefits, but at the same time, I see it causing problems and huge privacy issues. Another point he makes is that "There is little room for hiding details about our lives..." Here is an example in the week I was in DC... Some girls were having some problems with each other and somehow or another, there is a post on Facebook that a fight broke out between the two. Soon after, we get a call from the principal asking us what is going on... It was just stupid teen stuff and NOTHING HAPPENED. NO FIGHT, just immature rumors. I was told by one of the chaperones with some seniority on the trip, that stuff like that NEVER happened before social media got huge. What happened in DC, stayed in DC, and was dealt with by competent adults who know how to do their job. These kids go crazy when they go on trips away from their parents and realize that they can't stand to live with their "best friends". Stuff like that just happens. Having the kids on the DC trip connected through social media with the kids back at home just causes problems, in my opinion.

The constant monitoring of our lives is a HUGE reason why I dislike social media more and more... I honestly dislike that I have had to sign up for so many social media applications. My only way to use them is to either sign up with my Facebook or Twitter accounts, or to sign up with an email address. There needs to be more sites that just let browse without membership. I just hate that my online presence is growing... but I guess it is a necessary evil...


Parr, B. (November 18, 2008). 5 ways social media will change recorded history. Retrieved from http://mashable.com/2008/11/18/consequences-of-social-media/

No comments:

Post a Comment