3.17.2013

Weekly Entry, Week 10

After reading some of this week's readings, I am left a bit depressed. Although it is awesome to have more people reading and advancing technology through e-books and the like, isn't it sad to see the book and physical print go? I know I am supposed to be a proponent of change and advancement in this field, but I can't help feeling this way. I also think about my own personal experiences, especially in my professional life. For instance, the entire 7th grade at my school has their math "book" and various math exercises online ONLY. This year, our math teacher had to take an extended leave of absence, leaving those students with a substitute, or worse in the auditorium doing NOTHING. When they do have a substitute teacher, no one is "allowed" on the computers, due to certain substitute teacher limitations. These kids can't access their books or the materials, when if they just had a real physical book, they wouldn't have this problem. My school also doesn't allow electronics, so they can only access materials under teacher supervision. To me, this is just ridiculous... If they are going to adopt a technological advancement, they need to be willing to deal with the undesirable things that come with it. This applies to all institutions. With technology, you have to be all or nothing. But money becomes an issue when you go for it all... So what do you think should be done? Are their more pros or cons in transitioning to e-books/materials?

1 comment:

  1. wow! That seems like a silly rule for the administration to make. If you are going to create rules about what and when kids can have access you must forsee all scenerios or revise as needed. In that situation having subs in a classroom seems like an exception to the rule since it is long-term. An administration that is inflexibile with rules is almost as bad as having no rules at all!
    I think technology is a double-edged sword, though. And I feel that educators are feeling pressured to implement technology when clearly, most technology is not ready to be implemented in the classroom completely yet. Right now we just need to find the balance between print and ebooks. Until universal platforms are created and agreed upon it is silly to force students into technology for technologies sake and not for real educational value. Just my opinion...

    ReplyDelete