2.17.2013

Weekly Entry, Week 6

Well, things are progressing quite nicely in this course. I missed the first tutorial questions, but other than that, things are going well, I think. I learned quite a bit about Tumblr and The Google Drive this week. I am just wondering if I am going to have to use the YouTube format for this assignment. I am hoping to start on mine SOON, and maybe use KeyNote for the presentation. I found out that KeyNote on the iPad does not have the audio record function, but KeyNote on a Mac computer does! So, I will be purchasing that soon. I have to get mostly everything done before my school DC trip, so it is going to be crazy for the next few weeks.

I just have a few comments about the video, A Vision of Students Today... I guess the message was that technology is the answer to some of the issues of tomorrow. I guess they are saying that technology could help in the classroom and that something like the chalk board doesn't have a place in the 21st century classroom. While I agree that technology is great and can be very beneficial, what about when that technology doesn't work? This makes me think of the classrooms at my school... Now they use electronic whiteboards to "write" or put information on the "board". These are in place of the chalkboards that are now covered up. Do you have any idea how often this technology fails and their entire lesson is put behind because they are so reliant on that technology? It's absurd. Either we have to become less reliant on technology, or we need to find ways to ensure that this technology doesn't fail over 50% of the time. When it comes to public schools adopting technology, it has turned into a big mess, because there is not enough money to provide students and teachers with the technology and tech support they need. It seems like it would make more sense in a University that has more funding... But what do public schools do?


A vision of students today. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGCJ46vyR9o

1 comment:

  1. "Either we have to become less reliant on technology, or we need to find ways to ensure that this technology doesn't fail over 50% of the time."

    I like what you stated above in your post. It seems like technology is the "solution" to everything, but I believe when it comes to learning it can be a problem. I prefer to interact with an instructor and classmates and have a lively discussion in person and enjoy the experience of learning. Today's environment of online classes and "discussion" boards doesn't appeal to me and I am a big Apple product fan lol I just love interacting live with people and kids today will lose out if everything moves online

    ReplyDelete